Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne remanded

Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne remanded

Chief of Defence Staff Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne, accused of harbouring and aiding the main suspect in the 2008 youth abduction case to flee the country, has been remanded until the 5th of December.

The order was issued by the Colombo Fort Magistrate Ranga Dissanayake this evening.

The Colombo Fort Magistrate’s Court previously ordered the arrest of Admiral Wijegunaratne after the CID, investigating the abduction, informed Court that there is sufficient evidence against the Chief of Defence that he aided the main suspect in the case to evade the law and flee the country.

The Admiral surrendered before Court this morning following an earlier order issued for his arrest in relation to the case.

Meanwhile, Officer-in-Charge of the Colombo Fort Police Station was issued summons today by Magistrate Ranga Dissanayake over a complaint lodged by a key witness in the 2008 abduction case.

According to the complaint, Lieutenant Commander Laksiri Galagamage was threatened, by a group of individuals at the Navy Headquarters on Sunday.

The Police Media Unit said the complaint states that the Chief of Defence Staff was also present at the Headquarters at the time of the incident.

Meanwhile, an individual was apprehended this afternoon for reportedly assaulting a group of media personnel at the premises of the Colombo Fort Magistrates Court this afternoon.

Court correspondent said the group was assaulted as the Chief of Defence Staff Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne was leaving the Court premises, after appearing in Court over the case relating to the abduction of 11 youth in 2008.

[embedyt]https://youtu.be/lBN12I0VD5c[/embedyt]