Death of fishermen in collision to be probed
Minister of Fisheries Vijith Wijayamuni Soyza has called for a prompt investigation into a boat tragedy which killed four persons in seas off Galle.
Minister Wijayamuni Soyza said he has ordered the Fisheries Director General to investigate the incident and gather information pertaining to an international vessel involved in the mishap.
He said firstly this vessel must be found and seized by the Navy adding discussions will subsequently be held on how to safeguard the families of fisher folk.
He noted insurance schemes are also in place while the Ministry of Fisheries will support them in any manner possible.
The Minister said a special investigation will be launched into the incident and steps will be taken to prevent such tragedies from happening in future.
Four persons died while two remain missing following a mid-sea boat accident in seas off Galle.
The Police Media Unit said a group of seven fishermen had set out to sea on board a multi-day trawler on Tuesday from the Beruwala fisheries harbour.
Police said the vessel had been hit by international flagged ship within Sri Lankan territorial waters.
Subsequent to a Navy operation one person was rescued and the bodies of four others were recovered and handed over to the Galle Police Station.