CEB Strike A Failure, Says Minister

CEB Strike A Failure, Says Minister

A regular supply of electricity was maintained throughout the country despite Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) employees launching a strike action from Wednesday 13, the Power and Renewable Energy Minister Ranjith Siyambalapitiya said.

According to the reports, 100 per cent efficiency had been reported in power generation and transmission while the distribution remained at 65 per cent although a few electricity breakdowns were reported in several areas, The Minister said.

“We cannot by any consent accept the action taken by the trade union to withdrawn CEB staff from the National Hospital risking the lives of patients while ignoring the requests made by GMOA.”He said.

“The ministry appreciates all staff member of the CEB who did not take part in this inhumane trade union action,” the Minister added.

The Minister ensured a continuous supply of electricity under any circumstances.

Meanwhile, the CEB requests the public to be more cautious as certain individuals are engaged in disruptive activities due to the strike action.

“It is reported that several persons have caused damage to electrical transformers fixed in roads,” the CEB said.

Meanwhile, the Power and Renewable Energy Ministry has decided to recall resigned employees to work for maintenance and transportation services.

“We did not receive any invitation to report back to work,” said K.Wathudura, member of Ceylon Electricity Board’s Retiree’s Association.

“We will abstain from reporting to work even if we receive such an invitation from the Minister” He added. (Derana)

Leave your comment
Comment
Name
Email