No-confidence motion debate to be held today
The debate on the Motion of No-Confidence against Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe will be held in Parliament today (April 4).
The debate is scheduled to begin at 9.30 AM and go on until 9.30 PM.
Following the debate, voting on the motion of no-confidence is scheduled to take place at 9.30 PM tonight.
The No-Confidence motion was hand over to Speaker Karu Jayasuriya by a group of Joint Opposition Parliamentarians including Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa on the 16th of March.
55 Members of Parliament have signed the No Confidence motion, however, former President Mahinda Rajapaksa hasn’t done so.
Ministers G.B. Ekanayake, Nishantha Mutuhettigama, and K. Cadre Masthan of the SLFP are among those who have signed the No-confidence motion.
The No Confidence motion against the Prime Minister contains 14 points.
Some of the points are as follows:
- Bringing the Central Bank under his purview with the intention defrauding the bank by committing the bond scam.
- Violating the nations law by appointing Arjun Mahendran, who was not a citizen of Sri Lanka as the Governor of the Central Bank.
- Being a co-conspirator of the bond scam.
- Attempting to derail legal proceedings against the chief suspects of the bond scam by appointing the Pitipana Committee which included his political allies.
- Intentionally deceiving Parliament by making an official statement in the House on the 17th of March 2015 in order to protect those involved in the bond scam by hiding real facts.
- Allowing Arjun Mahendran to abscond court orders by leaving the country.
- Failing to take prompt action as the Minister of Law and Order during the recent unrest that erupted in Kandy.