Hansani Piyumila Kapugeekiyana of Visakha Vidyalaya and Disanka Tennakoon of Dharmaraja College are scheduled to take off to Ahmedabad India for the Youth Olympics Games 2017 selections.
The 3rd Youth Olympic Games will be held in Buenos Aires, Argentina, from 6th – 18th October 2018. The YOG continental qualifications takes place in 6 destinations out of which India, Australia and America are still to be worked off. A total of 14 men and 14 women will qualify via the following six continental qualification events.
- YOG Continental Qualification, Africa at Tunis, TUN from 16th – 17th April 2017 ( 2 men & 2 women)
- YOG Continental Qualification, Latin America at Santo Domingo, DOM, from 12th – 14th May 2017 (2 men & 2 women)
- YOG Continental Qualification, Europe at Split, CRO, from 3rd – 5th November 2017 (4 men & 4 women)
- YOG Continental Qualification, Asia at Ahmedabad, IND, from 3rd – 5th November 2017 (4 men & 4 women)
- YOG Continental Qualification, Oceania at Bendigo, AUS, from 11th – 12th November 2017 (1 man & 1 woman)
- YOG Continental Qualification, North America at Las Vegas, USA from 19th – 20th December 2017 (1 man & 1 woman)
A total of three events will be played; Men’s Singles, Women’s Singles and Mixed Teams. A total of 64 athletes will qualify in total for the big games.
Of the 64 athletes, 29 men and 29 women will have an opportunity to qualify by competing in the six Continental Qualification Events and six “Road to Buenos Aires 2018 series” events and by ITTF Under-18 World Ranking as of July 2018. Invitation quota places will also be offered for the host nation and Universality Places.
Hansani Piyumila is the 4th seed per the latest Sri Lankan Table Tennis Island Rankings and is the top seed in the Under 18 and 21 age groups. She has also qualified to represent the nation in the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia. (By Dinith Rajasinghe Rajasinghe – thepapare)